Wednesday, April 17, 2013

New Zealand Legalizes Gay Marriage

New Zealand Legalizes Gay Marriage; Spectators Sing Love Song "Pokarekare Ana" For Lesbian Lawmaker


Pokarekare Ana is a traditional New Zealand love song, probably communally composed about the time World War I began in 1914. East Coast Māori song-writer Paraire Tomoana, who polished up the song in 1917 and published the words in 1921, wrote that "it emanated from the North of Auckland" and was popularised by Māori soldiers who were training near Auckland before embarking for the war in Europe.
The Māori words have remained virtually unaltered over the decades, with only the waters in the first line being localized. 
Pokarekare anaNga wai o waiapu
Whiti atu koe hine
Marino ana e

E hine e
Hoki maira
Kamate au-i te aroha e

Tuhituhi taku ritaTuku atu taku ringi
Kia kiti to iwi
Raru raru ana e

E hine e
Hoki maira
Kamate au I could die-i te aroha e

E hine e
Hoki maira
Kamate au-i te aroha e

Kamate au I could die-i te aroha e Of love for you 
English translation: 
Stormy are the watersOf restless Waiapu
If you cross them, girlThey will be calmed
Oh girlCome back to me
I could dieOf love for you

I write you my letterI send you my ringSo your people can seeHow troubled I am

Oh girlCome back to meI could dieOf love for you

Oh girlCome back to meI could dieOf love for you
I could die
Of love (for you).

No comments:

Post a Comment